Saturday, August 1, 2009

cooking in hell's kitchen

Last week I decided it was my turn to cook for a night. For the record Paige does enjoy cooking (and does so extremely well), but I recognize I should do it more often so she can relax. I was in the mood to slow cook a pork tenderloin in a crock pot so that is what I did. The recipe I chose instructed me to simmer the pork with a 12 ounce root beer for 6 to 7 hours. Then drain and simmer for another hour in "your favorite barbecue sauce". I tweaked it by adding garlic salt, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and a few tablespoons of barbecue sauce to the initial 6 hour slow cook. Our slow cooker cooks a little faster so I did that for 4 hours, drained the sauce and added 12 ounces of barbecue sauce, more garlic salt, onion powder, and cayenne pepper to simmer for 2 hours. The barbecue sauce I used was from Rudy's in Texas. It is phenomenal bbq sauce and the last time paige was home she brought us back two 48 ounce bottles.

I also borrowed a recipe that I've always liked from Kristi (borrowed from Alton Brown) for an asian slaw. After she answered many of my questions I went for it. I'm not a mayonnaise fan so this called for rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, lime, sesame oil, chiles, etc.

I must say it turned out pretty well. The barbecue sauce turned out excellent. I think the cayenne pepper added a great kick to it and I will definitely do it again. You couldn't really taste any root beer which was confirmed by Paige. So I may alter that, but otherwise it was excellent. The slaw also turned out really well. I thought I may have put a little too much vinegar, but Paige said she liked it. Hopefully she wasn't humoring me and enjoyed her much deserved night off.

ar

No comments:

Post a Comment