Thursday, August 13, 2009

Molé


The past few weeks I've really been wanting to take a stab at making chicken molé. I researched some recipes and then began the search for the right mole sauce. I had been reading about a Dona Maria molé sauce sold at Mexican groceries stores and was pretty sold on it. This was confirmed when Driscoll and I went for tacos at the Tehuitzingo bodega (amazing tacos which I'll elaborate on in a later post) and he mentioned Amy had used it, and they loved it. I picked up a jar for the dish.

The recipe is pretty simple consisting of:

(2) chicken breasts
(3) tablespoons of vegetable oil
half a yellow onion
(3) large garlic cloves
(3) cups of reduced sodium chicken broth
8 oz jar of Dona Maria molé sauce

(1) 16 oz bag of rice
1 teaspoon of salt

I chopped the onion, diced the garlic, and put (3) tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large saucepan to sauté. I then cubed the chicken breasts (~1") and added it to the saucepan. I raised the heat to sear the chicken on all sides and then lowered, covered, and simmered. While that was cooking I brought 2 cups of water, 1 cup of chicken broth, and salt to a boil and then added the rice, covered and simmered.

While the chicken and rice were cooking I combined the 8 oz jar of molé and 2 cups of chicken broth and blended. Once the chicken was done I drained the juice from the chicken and then added the molé mixture. I brought that to a simmer for ~5 minutes. During this time the rice was cooked.

I plated the rice and added the chicken molé atop. I must say it was pretty great for a first attempt at a dish that can be testy.

ar

notes: next time I will only use about 5 oz of molé mixture to 2 cups of chicken broth to balance the chocolate. I will also look into adding poblano peppers to add a hit of spice to the dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment