Thursday, August 27, 2009

2 wheel warrior

current obsession - getting a bicycle

this involves constant research of the different types of bikes (road/mtb/hybrid/cross), what the components are, how to properly secure a bike in the city, what is a good price, etc.  i hope to get one very soon, however those that know me know that i will cover all angles before committing.

what started the obsession?


Paige and I had been wanting to walk the brooklyn bridge and check out the Dumbo/BK Heights neighborhood's since we moved here.  After hearing about a bike ride Paige had with her father and enjoyed it, I thought it would be a good idea to rent bikes and make that trek.  So we mapped out a ride from Central Park (the bike rental place) down the west side hwy, across the brooklyn bridge, over into Dumbo to see the Waterpod project, over into Brooklyn Heights for brunch, hang out on the water, and then back across the bridge home.  It was about a 25 mile ride and I found it to be very enjoyable.  Definitely fueled the fire for picking up a bike for commuting purposes and also for exercise.  I thought the NYC streets would be much more intimidating but I felt pretty comfortable and know I will only become more confident.

"We live in hell's kitchen, and we can represent even in dorky bike helmets.  You want some?"

ar

No comments:

Post a Comment