Saturday, August 22, 2009

Blister in the sun

We have not been getting the best weather the past day or so here in New York so I have laid relatively low (other than Thursday night at Rudy's and witnessing the naked man).  I have also had the nagging onset of a cold that has yet to manifest itself so that contributing to the urge of watching a moving and retiring early.  But a lot of that has nothing to do with this post.  After the thunderstorm came through last night I took the opportunity to take a few pictures of what turned into a really incredible sky and sunset.  I found it pretty cool this morning when I got up and read the Gothamist (awesome blog about NYC:  http://gothamist.com/2009/08/22/upside_to_storms_beautiful_sunsets.php?gallery0Pic=4#gallery) to see one of their contributors had done the same and posted their pictures.  Needless to say Jen's are far better than mine as I am still working off a basic digital camera.  When the job comes, a new camera will as well.

As for the title, it just happened to be one of the first ones I thought of when writing about a sunset.  My brother turned me on to the Violent Femmes when he was going to school at UGA and played there quite a bit.  They never made it to upper echelon of success, but have retained a cult following.  This song in particular has a few theories behind the meaning.  The best I've have heard it summed up is that "the song is about the general adolescent drive towards excess, over the top sexuality."  If you feel so inclined, take and listen and enjoy:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra8VTlXVqUQ

ar

No comments:

Post a Comment